Friday 25 October 2013

Blankie Stories V - A Gift From Heaven

I accidentally created a misunderstanding on B's Facebook page yesterday when I mentioned that he received a "Blankie from Heaven".  What I thought was a simple post had people wondering if we'd lost B.  I am so very sorry to those of you that read that post and interpreted it that way...B is fine, we're still in hospital but he's here with us (I'll write more to this later today). 

Here is the full explanation of what I actually meant.  Grab a tissue because while Mr.B might still be here with us on earth his blankie came from a little one that is not:

I'm already crying so were off to a good start...
Emmitt


A short while ago I wrote a post about a wee little man named Emmitt titled A World Where Children Die.  Proudly this is one of my most viewed posts because what that means is that Emmitt and the Legacy he's left is being viewed around the world.

Emmitt, while so incredibly special, has a family that is just as special.  Emmitt has this Momma Warrior named Ashley who is unlike anyone I've ever met before.  Ashley reached out to me via this Blog and B's Facebook Page because we had shared similar beginnings with our boys.  Ashley also had three boys and we shared many of the same incredible Nurses at the Alberta Children's Hospital's NICU.

When I say that she is unlike anyone I've ever met before is because she has this fire inside of her, it's pretty much unstoppable.  She was an amazing advocate for sweet Emmitt when he was here and she is an astounding advocate for his Legacy.  This is a woman deep in grief but who is still reaching out to others.  This is a woman who had the mindset to not only donate her milk supply but sought out a Momma who is going through cancer treatments while having a wee babe.  Ashley has given comfort and guidance to those of us that still have our children here on this earth while having to go through the indescribable loss of losing her own.

Ashley and I share a connection that is rare where you feel as though you've known someone already a lifetime when you meet.  I am so very thankful to call her my friend and so grateful that she has come into our lives.

While Ashley had asked me if she could bring a blankie to Braeden yesterday I knew it would be very hard for both of us, I also knew how incredibly blessed that would make B.  Ashley arrived yesterday with a beautiful, soft blue blankie with a fringe around it.  It had been one of Emmitt's.

My friends Lorna and Justine were here with us at ACH when Ashley arrived and she gave B the blankie.  I think we all held our breath at the sheer magnitude of what was happening.  I couldn't even look at Ashley, my heart was breaking for her and for the loss that she and her family have had to endure. 

Mr.B (as you can see) thought it was wonderful...he loved it.  He loves that it has holes in it to fit his fingers through and he especially loves the fringe around the outside.  He snuggled right in with it.  Ashley even held B with Emmitt's blankie for a short while...I don't know where she found the courage to do that.  Ashley has given Braeden the ultimate gift, Emmitt's guidance and protection from above.




So you see, it is a "Blankie from Heaven".  It was sweet Emmitt's blankie and now it is Mr.B's treasure.  This cycle of life and these cycles of grief that fit into life are just simply not fair but such beauty can be found in grief and this thing we call Life.

Ashley's words:
"...Emmitt is looking out for B, as he is looking our for me and my family...I have always referred to the poem...'A reason, a season and a lifetime' the blankie is B's for a lifetime."
 
 
 
 
 
When someone is in your life for a REASON,
it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.
They have come to assist you through a difficulty;
to provide you with guidance and support;
to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually.
They may seem like a godsend, and they are.
They are there for the reason you need them to be.

Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time,
this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.
Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.
Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.
What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done.
The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON,
because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.
They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.
They may teach you something you have never done.
They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.
Believe it. It is real. But only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons;
things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.
Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person,
and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.
It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.

— A poem by Brian Andrew "Drew" Chalker
 
 
 
A Lifetime of memories from Emmitt packed into 20 mths and 8 days
https://www.facebook.com/groups/217557205074177/
 
 
Thank you for being a part of our journey with Mr.B,
whether you are here for a Reason, a  Season or a Lifetime.
 
 
From Our (Unit 2) Home To Yours...

No comments: